Monday, April 4, 2011

Being that lady

Today I was that lady.

The one with the overflowing grocery cart, the handful of coupons, and the squirmy toddler.
The one who turns around and tells the next person in line, "Sorry, but you might just want to try another line."
The one who had it all planned out, but couldn't quite explain it to the cashier clearly enough.
The one who thought a giant sealed bag of M&Ms was a harmless distraction to give a toddler...and the culprit behind "Clean up on Isle 8 please."

All for this...

Yes, that is 30 boxes of cereal and 10 9 1/2 bags of M&Ms (remember clean up on isle 8?.) I also got 3 milks, but I draw the weirdness line at pulling them out of the fridge so I can take a picture of them. (Because taking a picture of your 30 boxes of cereal and 9 1/2 bags of M&Ms is totally normal...)

Why did I buy this much cereal, M&Ms and milk you ask?
Because it was a GREAT deal of course!

I got:
30 boxes of cereal (20 Rice Krispies, 10 Corn Flakes)
10 gallons of free milk coupons (used 3 right away, have 7 left to use later)
10 bags of M&Ms (all free)
With some coupons (and after I get my rebate) I'll have paid: $14.10
You can read more about the deal here.
Thanks Frugal Living NW
(The M&Ms won't be listed.  The boxes of Rice Krispies I bought happened to have coupons on the front of them for one free bag of M&Ms with every two Rice Krispies or Cocoa Krispies you bought. Also, my total price is higher than her examples because I only had a couple Kellogg's coupons. The free milk is for any brand of milk up to $3.99 and can be used at any store that will take them.  I plan on using some of them for the Organic milk we buy for Natalie and paying the difference.)


Okay, so even if it was a great deal, what am I going to do with all this cereal, milk, and candy?

Glad y'asked.
Well, for one, eat it.  Keith and I eat cereal for breakfast every day except on the exceptional Saturday when I get domestic and make a proper breakfast for us.
Milk is kinda like water around here.  We will easily drink 10 gallons in the next 3 weeks.
And as for the candy, well, we'll just call that cheap therapy. =)

But, as I imagine we'll get a little sick of Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes and having large quantities of my biggest unhealthy temptation around is probably not great for the waistline, I also plan to donate much of it to our local Food Bank.

A frugal living blog I follow is doing a great event called Couponing for Community May 8-14.


May is National Stamp Out Hunger Month and it's super easy to donate.  You should be getting a paper bag in the mail at the end of this month from the Post Office to fill with food and leave for your postman.  (Or you can load it all up and take it to a drop-off location.) 

The good price on the cereal ends tomorrow, so if you want this deal (for yourself or your community!) head to Albertson's soon!

Yep, today I was that lady.
Gladly.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you are always thinking of others, buying lots and lots to give away, and putting a smile on the store employees faces at the same time. How original. Give a child a bag of candy and watch the smiles appear.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete