Friday, April 8, 2011

Frugal Friday- Home Haircuts!

I passed a sign today for Great Clips and it made me smile
They are having their Great Haircut Event right now where you can get a cut for $7.99.

Once when Keith and I were dating, he mentioned that I could cut his hair.

Um, no.

The first, last, and only time I had ever been entrusted with cutting someone's hair I got halfway through and cut a big nick out of his ear. (Still sorry Aaren.) 

So, not surprisingly, Keith continued to get his hair cut at the local barber through the years of our dating and engagement in Eugene. The guy was great, he was located right off of campus, he'd been cutting young student's hair for decades, and he was cheap. 

Then we got married.  Up in Portland, Keith started going to the local Great Clips. 

 It wasn't a "great" cut,  but it was cheap and as a plus, he always came out with both ears in tack.
 
Then the lady he liked left.  
So he tried the new girl.  
And another new girl.  
And a different Great Clips. 

It was bad.

Remember as a kid when you thought it would be fun to cut the hair off of your dolls?  So you started cutting.  But then it wasn't quite straight, so you kept cutting.  And cutting.  And eventually your dolly Sally was now dolly Bob with a bad haircut?  

Okay, so his hair didn't look that bad, but when he asked again if I'd be up for cutting is hair, this time I thought twice.  

I kept looking at the back of his head with his new diagonally sloping hairline and thinking, "I couldn't do worse than that."

So we bought the little buzzing hair cut kit and one night we tried it out.  

Poor Keith.

I was a smidge paranoid about messing it up, so I decided to make up for my lack of skill by making it into a marathon long event where I would cut 1/100 of an inch off at a time.  It took so long that the thing actually got so hot we had to turn it off and take a break to let it cool down so I didn't leave burn marks on his head.

Fast forward two years.  I still cut upside down (apparently) but I get the job done in about 10 minutes and so far have only had about 2 bad haircuts. Considering that we spent about $15 for the whole haircutting kit, this also saves us a lot of money over the year.  And if I can do it, well, seriously, ANYONE can do it. (A patient husband helps.)

Great Clips, Sh'mate Clips.




1 comment:

  1. I loved this!! Brian frequented the local barber near our house for awhile when they had this great $12 men's cut and neck massage thing going... but eventually that deal disappeared and being the frugal man he is also bought a hair cut kit and handed me the clippers. Let's just say, I have a gracious husband. This last episode, I may have gotten a little ahead of myself and began with a big buzz straight up the back of his neck and then saw my big mistake, I'd forgotten to attach the little end to it and now he had a 2 inch by 2 inch bald patch squarely in the middle of the back of his head. Like he'd just gotten out of surgery or something. In my absolute embarrassment I couldn't stop laughing and screaming Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!!! I was so mad, truly! Anyway, this has gotten to be story here, thanks for your writing Krissi, I love reading it and you have a wonderful way with words!!!

    ReplyDelete